Thursday, May 17, 2012

Lord of the Flies

Growing up around my house, there were some phrases that were frequently heard.  And generally they came from my dad.  One of his favorites is (if someone is mad about something) "Good, it gives them something to look forward to - getting over it."  However during the summer time, Mom has her own special phrase.  It goes like this - "DAMN the flies!"  Mom hates having flies in her house.  Frequently she will pick up the flyswatter and go on a fly-killing spree (with a mildly possessed look in her eye).   :)  This became a source of entertainment for my little sister and I.  Sometimes we would imitate her, walking around, brandishing flyswatters and quoting her favorite line with each fly we took down.  However as I've lived out here in western Kansas, I've decided flies are not such a laughing matter, and I think that I have recently begun to channel my mom's spirit toward them.
Western Kansas Fact #4:  The flies out here are evil beings that BITE INCESSANTLY.  They are not just annoying things that buzz around your head, food, etc.  No, they have to go the next step and molest your flesh with sharp, painful bites.  The only thing that hurts worse is when you try to slap them away and end up smacking yourself harder than they bit you.

(My mom - the greatest, sweetest lady in the world - unless you're a fly!)

Enough ranting - This weekend Taylor and I went to his cousin's graduation in Lawrence and afterward we all went and ate in Kansas City.  We went to this great Brazilian steakhouse called Fogo de Chao.  (Don't worry this Brazilian steakhouse will not leave you with the side effects seen in Bridesmaids!) :)  For a person like me, it's AWESOME.  Instead of having to spend forever looking at the menu, trying to decide what I want (and only making a quick decision at the end because the waiter is standing there looking at me, waiting to take my order) every person gets a little circle card that is red on one side and green on the other.  When you're ready to eat, all you do is flip the card to the green side and soon you are surrounded by waiters carrying around wonderful smelling skewers of every kind of meat.  And you can have some of EVERY one.  As long as you have your card on the green side, they'll keep bringing you meat until you explode.  (I stopped just short of explosion point).

This week has also had a very bittersweet moment.  We had to say goodbye to some of wonderful friends.  Lucas and Allison Regula moved out here from Ohio not too long before Taylor and I got married.  We got to know each other because Lucas and Taylor frequently worked together.  Since moving out here, they have been some of our closest friends, but Lucas recently received a job promotion, and they are now moving to Indiana.   We're going to miss them a lot, but we've promised to stay in touch.  We've been thinking that a group trip to Vegas would be fun! The nice thing is, we are all so much alike and so close that even if we don't see each other really often, I think we'll be able to pick right back up where we left off.  Good luck you two! 

My favorite scripture this week was:  "He counts the number of stars; He calls them all by name."  Psalm 147:4  It's so wonderful to be reminded that God knows the names of every star, and He knows each of us.  His power is infinite and no matter how many people number this earth, He knows not only our names, but our thoughts, desires, and our hearts.  We never have to feel alone in this world because we have a Father who is always with us and knows us better than we know ourselves.

Hope you all have a great weekend!
Lyndee

No comments:

Post a Comment