Monday, June 4, 2012

Sunrise, Sunset

A lot of times when I meet someone who is from western Kansas or is at least familiar with the area, and I tell them that I recently moved out here, they ask me how I like it.  However the way they ask it is often comical.  Rarely do people ask me that question in a positive way (like if you made a dessert you've had before and you know it's amazing, you might ask someone trying it for the first time how they like it - with the anticipation that they will think it's awesome too).  No, most times when someone asks me how I like western Kansas, it is with a cautious and mildly pitying look on their face.
I'll admit, it is different out here than it is where I grew up.  But I can honestly say that I do like it.  Maybe there isn't as much rain, and generally you can count the number of trees in sight without taking off your shoes (sometimes you only even need one hand), :)  and you may even have to kill a rattlesnake occasionally, but like any place it has its good qualities too.  For instance there is basically no humidity so even when it's hot, it's still comfortable, the whole place is run on agriculture and you can see wheat fields for miles and miles and miles, there aren't too many people around (this is a plus for me, but some people may see it as a downfall).  And in my opinion, the area's best asset -

Western Kansas Fact:  The sunsets/sunrises out here are absolutely astounding.  Uninterrupted by hills, trees or buildings, the mastery of God's artwork fills the sky and takes your breath away.  Here's a few examples and I've only been out here since last Aug.
The picture for the profile of my blog is another example, and I haven't edited them at all.  These last two pictures I took when Taylor, his brother, Jayce and I went out to check wheat fields to see how soon we'll start harvesting.  We should be starting sometime this week, and I'll be driving the grain cart so we'll all be pretty busy.  I'll try to keep you all up on how harvest goes, but I don't know how much time I'll have.  If all else fails, I'll make sure to post all about it once we're done.

My favorite scripture this week was  
"I have heard your prayer . . .;surely I will heal you.  On the third day you shall go up to the house of the Lord."  2 Kings 20:5
I loved the lesson that went with this scripture.  It talked about how we can ask for things in our prayers, but we can't expect for things to happen without putting forth any personal effort.  One passage read, "When we ask the Lord to do something, we must also be ready to do our part."  It made me think about the things I prayed for regularly, like being a better disciple, and whether I was truly sincere enough to begin the process myself rather than leaving all the responsibility on God.

Hope you all have a blessed week!
Lyndee

No comments:

Post a Comment