Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Friends and Fireworks

When I was little the fourth of July meant that Dad would give us four kids $20 to share and spend on fireworks.  We would spend forever (or maybe an hour) surveying our options at the white and yellow tent, carefully calculating what assortment of fireworks we could get for that $20.  We were so cautious picking them out - we didn't want to get home and find out later that any part of our money was spent on a lame firecracker.

As I've gotten older, I much prefer watching the professional displays of fireworks as compared to some smaller version I could buy myself (plus my tight-wad self can't get over the fact that I would have to spend a bunch of money to get good fireworks, and then they would be over in 5 seconds.  But it's ok because Taylor is enough of a pyromaniac/firework fanatic for the both of us.) :)
This year because of the extremely dry conditions, we didn't buy any fireworks.  Instead we had a cookout and a card party with some friends.  Then this weekend we went back home for the annual July 4th celebration in my hometown called July Jubilee.  It's an event put of by the Chamber of Commerce at Banner Creek Reservoir.  In the afternoon they have bands perform and a fireworks display later that night.  My sister Katie used to be the Chamber director before she took a new job, but she has continued to be in charge of booking the entertainment.  This year she got our good friends, Joey+Rory and their daughter Heidi, to come back as the headliner for the event.  We were all so excited to see them again!  They also had two of their good friends with them, Colm Kirwan and his sister, Shannon.  They are both Irish, but Colm is living in Nashville and working to make it as a country music singer and Shannon is visiting him for a couple of months. I loved listening to their Irish accents as they talked, although occasionally while talking to them, I found myself unintentionally lilting some of my words the way they do.  I kept thinking, "Jeez, I hope they don't think I'm mocking them!"  Maybe I found it a little too easy to do because me and my little sister Annie are dorks and sometimes we go around talking to each other in accents, mostly English and Irish.  :)

On Friday we all ate supper up at Mom and Dad's and then watched their new TV show which aired for the first time that night.  It's a kind of variety show and it was great.  If any of you want to watch it, it's called "the Joey+Rory" show and it's on the RFD channel on Friday nights at 8:00 p.m. central time.

Joey, my brother Casey, and my two nieces, Kallan and Rowan
Then on Saturday morning, Joey, Rory, and Colm came out to go fishing with Taylor, myself, and my sister's boyfriend, Abe.  It was a beautiful, relaxing morning out by the water.  The fish really weren't biting, but that was ok.  I did catch one little bass, so I was happy.  After some breakfast everybody came back to Mom and Dad's and we all played volleyball.  It was a blast although I now realize how far I've fallen from my high school days of volleyball when I was actually pretty good.  Guess I need to practice more!  :)  Poor Colm and Shannon informed us that in Ireland a hot day is somewhere between 70-80 degrees.  They must have thought we were trying to kill them when we started playing volleyball in the sun in 108 degree weather.




Their show that night at the lake was great and the fireworks were fantastic too.  I know I enjoyed them much more than anything I could have bought myself (plus at the lake they put their fireworks to music, and I just don't think I'm talented enough to time my fireworks to songs) :)
Right after the show they all had to load up and leave because they had a 15 hour drive to make it to Wyoming by 3:00 the next day.  I didn't envy them having to drive all night to get there, but I was so glad they were willing to do it so we could see them all and spend time with them.
I don't know how to describe Heidi's voice, but it is awesome and so unique from so many others that I've heard.
I'm pretty sure all the girls at the lake fell in love with Colm, his accent and the great song he sang called 'Never Alone.'
Annie, Shannon and Katie
Joey+Rory - such wonderful musicians and people we are so blessed to call them our friends.

Western Kansas Fact:  After traveling from eastern Kansas to Western Kansas, use caution when opening any food/makeup or other contents that may be under pressure.  The higher elevation creates increased pressure on them and may cause them to squirt out of their containers the first time they are reopened.  (This seems to happen to my moisturizer every time!)

My favorite scripture this week was:  "I have begun to give Sihon and his land over to you.  Begin to posses it."  Deuteronomy 2:31
I loved this one because of the lesson that went with it.  It said that so often when we face a difficult task or situation, we tend to procrastinate because it seems to big too accomplish.  We don't even know where to begin.  But God tells us that if we will make that first move, He will help us get through it and overcome it one step at a time.  We have to trust in His promise that He will always be with us and will provide for our needs in any situation.  But we must be willing to take that first step.

I hope you all were able to celebrate the freedoms we enjoy here in America this fourth of July and have a great week!
Lyndee

No comments:

Post a Comment