Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Run, Forrest, Run

A lot of people I know are extremely fond of, and very good with young children and babies.  I don't know if I would go so far as to say I am one of these people.  If there is a baby in the room, there are a lot of women who are drawn to it and want to hold it, whether they know who the baby belongs to or not.  Generally I have to have more of a personal connection.  I absolutely adore my nieces and nephews, but they are special to me.  I don't usually feel as strongly about all children.
However I do have a soft spot for baby pigs and baby calves.  We raised both growing up, and now I have my own setup to raise bucket calves.
The other day I was riding around the feedyard with Taylor, and he pointed out a brand new baby calf in one of the pens.  Taylor wasn't sure if this calf would be able to survive, but I gave him some big puppy-dog eyes and asked if I could look at it.  My husband is a sweet guy, so he humored me.  When we got in the pen with it, it was easy to tell that there was something wrong with his back legs.  They were very weak and almost seemed to buckle when he walked.  The odds weren't in his favor, but I couldn't help but want to try and save him.  With his weak back legs, it was really easy to come up with a name for him - Forrest.  :)

Forrest got off to a good start by eating really well, and every day I would get him out of his pen so he could walk and play and build up leg strength.  He's done better than I could have ever hoped for.  Now when I let him out, he runs all over.  Watching him now, you would never guess that he had any sort of problem.  One of my favorite things is to yell "Run, Forrest, Run!"  :)  Just goes to show that everyone deserves a chance.


This weekend a couple of my good friends got married - Bethany and Morgan Parker.   I was blessed to get to know Bethany really well during my senior year at college, and she had a huge influence on my life and my relationship with Christ.  They both are truly inspiring people, and this weekend it was amazing to see the number of lives they have touched. I was so honored when they asked me to read the Scriptures at their wedding.  Thank you both for allowing me to be a part of your special day.

Western Kansas Fact:  Out here cars and motorcycles are not the only forms of transportation.  Many people also own their own planes.  Back home, I would frequently hear people talk about the types of cars/trucks they like, but on several occasions I have heard conversations about which planes are the best.  The business opportunities plus the distances people have to travel out here make personal planes justifiable.

I have been crucified with Christ, it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me.  Galatians 2:20.  This is one of my all time favorite scriptures because I have felt the change that can occur when we let Christ into our lives.  If we live our lives for Him, we are allowing Him to be with us constantly and to experience His magnificent joy, peace and love.

Road Trippin' - Taylor and I are going on a road trip to Seattle for our anniversary/vacation.  I can't wait to tell you all about it when we get back!

Hope you all have a wonderful rest of the week!
Lyndee

No comments:

Post a Comment