Friday, June 21, 2013

Did Hell Freeze Over?

I'm not sure, but I think Satan might be decorating his home with icicles. In less than a week I dumped 0.5", 1" and 1.30" out of our rain gauge. For a near-desert climate going through one of the worst droughts since the dust bowl, I have to assume hell has frozen over.
It's so nice to see things looking kind of green again!
Admittedly, not all of this rain was wide spread.  When we got an 1.30", three miles south of us they only got .20".

Look!  There's actually standing water!!!
The inch of rain came on Saturday night.  Earlier in the evening myself and the girls that went to Nashville to run participated in a glow run in Garden City. It was a fundraiser for the volleyball team. I'm definitely not in the running shape that I was when I ran my half marathon, but I still did pretty well.  The run started at 9 p.m. and not long after we got started, we could see the storm moving in.

Glow Run! We had a little bit bigger group than we did in Nashville! It was such a fun way to spend time with your friends!
Western Kansas Fact: The static electricity in the air here can create some pretty awesome lightning storms. 
As we were running, there was a lot of lightning in the distance. Thankfully we were able to finish before it got too close but when it arrived, it was one of the most amazing lightning displays I have ever seen. The flashes were like constant ripples across the sky.

This is a video of the lightning at our house.  It doesn't even come close to doing it justice because you can't really see all the other indirect flashes across the sky, but it can give you an idea.

This week Taylor and I turned my biggest bucket calves, Milo and Sweet, out with our cows that we moved across the road.  They probably weigh close to 400 lbs now.  They weren't quite sure what they were supposed to do at first.  The whole first day they were over there, they stayed next to the fence closest to the shed where I had been keeping them.  Since they weren't willing to walk around the pasture to find the water, I had to take some over to them.  The next afternoon, I went out to check on them.  They were getting thirsty again by that time, and they came walking up to me, mooing.  Since they were willing to follow me, I decided to just lead them to the water.  Together we walked (in Mary and her little lamb fashion) probably close to quarter of a mile to the water tank.  Once they knew they didn't have to rely on me to bring water, they were happy to join the herd.

Some weeks there are Scriptures and lessons that I can really experience in my daily life. This past week one of these Scriptures was:
Pray in the Spirit at all times, with all kinds of prayers, asking for everything you need. Ephesians 6:18
The lesson that went with this Scripture talked about living in God's presence during all parts of the day.  Once last week I went for a run in the evening.  Afterwards I walked a little bit, and during those quiet, relaxing moments, I could feel the peace of God's presence.  At that moment I realized I need to slow down more often in life, and give myself time to be with my Lord.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and can find time to slow down and relax a little.

Lyndee

No comments:

Post a Comment