Saturday, April 25, 2015

Going Hungry and a New Niece!

I know I'm not the only one who feels this way, but… I LOVE food.
When we travel, my favorite part of the trip almost always revolves around the new restaurants we eat at and the food we try. I especially love the trips we take to go skiing or when I've run half marathons- because that means I've spent the day burning energy so I can really enjoy eating later. :)

And it's not just eating out that I love. I also really enjoy making my own good food. I think that started when I learned how to bake as a young girl. Between learning to make pies, cakes, and breads, etc. I developed a joy for food (and I also helped my dad develop an extra 10 lbs or so - sorry Dad!)

Yet, as much pleasure and care as I take with my food, I've been allowing myself to go hungry. Not "hungry" as in stomach-grumbling hunger. It's my soul that has been going hungry, but a couple of weekends ago I was filled up.

Toward the end of my college career I met some wonderful women who helped me grow in my relationship with God, frequently meeting for Bible studies and the like.
Since moving to western Kansas I've met some wonderful, Godly women, but I've really missed the fellowship I had with my college friends.
Bethany was one of the great women I met in college. She and her husband, Morgan, are now doing missionary work in India.
The second weekend of April, my sister Katie and I went to Rexford, Kansas for a retreat called Women's Encounter. It was an amazing weekend filled with the fellowship and focus I was needing.

I would encourage any woman, no matter where she's at in her life, or whether or not she knows her heavenly Father, to attend. Trust me, everyone can gain something from a weekend like this. All it takes it is a little time. (And for any men reading this, there is also a men's version called Men's Encounter that I would equally encourage you to attend).

Now the trick will be not to have simply "gorged" myself one weekend, only to go "hungry" in the days to come. The nice part is, now I have a greater network of women I know I can turn to for help in my walk of faith.

April has been a really good month. The weekend after Women's Encounter my brother and sister-in-law had a new baby girl, Lakin Lee Patterson.
Taylor and I went home last weekend to see her and celebrate my mom's birthday as well (Lakin was born the night before Mom's birthday).
We grew up with Massey Ferguson tractors, and Dad wanted to make sure Lakin was a Massey girl early on, too! :)

Western Kansas Fact: When the river would run, people would take stock tanks, throw them in the river, hop in, and go on a float trip. I think this used to be a lot more common than it is now - The past several years there has hardly been any water in the river bed.

This was a Scripture that really meant a lot to me at Women's Encounter:
'I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot; I wish that you were cold or hot. So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth.'  Revelations 3:15-16
This spoke to me because too often I would fall into the "lukewarm" category - going through the motions of being a Christian (going to church, reading my Bible, making my donation) without truly seeking God and His will in my life - that's just what I felt like I was supposed to do. But I want to serve Him with my whole heart, not simply go through the motions.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!
Lyndee

2 comments:

  1. Lyndee-I am encouraged by your words. Thank you for sharing about your experience. 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you to all you wonderful ladies who put on such a great event! I know it took a lot of time and effort on your part, but I hope you know how much it means for those of us who attend!

      Delete